Montefalco, nicknamed the Railing of Umbria, is located on top of a green hill (472 m); from there, one enjoys a spectacular sight hugging the whole Valle Umbra, the wide dale connecting Spoleto to Perugia. Well-known for the production of the internationally-prized wines Rosso di Montefalco, Sagrantino and Sagrantino passito and for the tasty and smooth olive oil, Montefalco is a small town full of art, cradle of the Umbrian Painting School.
The access to the historical center is from Porta S.Agostino (or dello Stradone), the biggest among the four gates opened in the well-preserved walls enclosing the town. The Church of S. Agostino, formerly a Convent, erected between year 1279 and 1285 AD, features a singular oblique facade with an embedded gothic portal and houses valuable paintings on the inside.
The heart of the town is Piazza del Comune, a large space where the routes originating from the four gates converge, flanked by several buildings belonging of the noble families and dominated by the Town Hall. After reaching Piazza del Comune, the most elevated spot of Montefalco, the main road originating from Porta S. Agostino slides down again, leading to the remarkable church of S. Francesco, a recommended stop. The church, erected between year 1335 and 1338 AD, houses the Civic Museum together with splendid frescoes by Benozzo Gozzoli and paintings of many Umbrian artists, as Perugino.
The Convent and the Church of S. Fortunato, situated at a little distance from the town, houses other remarkable paintings by Benozzo Gozzoli, dating back to the 15th century.